Mines of Dalarnia’s Freemium Model, Explained
With version 2.0 development moving along nicely, we would like to take this opportunity to outline the fee model that will exist within the world of Mines of Dalarnia.
Mines of Dalarnia uses what is known as a ‘Freemium’ model, meaning that a limited section of the game will be available for anyone to try for free. Players who wish to journey beyond this introductory area will require a Mining Passport. These passports will be represented by an NFT held in the player’s Binance Smart Chain address. The following points provide the key details:
- The free to play planet will be accessible to all players, whether they have a mining passport or not. The planet will contain a small number of plots and these plots will provide only the most basic of materials.
- Players who obtain a Mining Passport NFT will be granted full access to the remainder of the game, including Terra Prime and all future planets. The cost of a mining passport will be around $20 USD. They will become available prior to the launch of the game.
- Mining Plots acquired by users in the first land sale (held in January 2022) will be on the planet of Terra Prime, the first planet available to holders of a mining passport.
- The mining passports will be like any other NFT — players can transfer and/or trade them on the secondary market.
- Mining Ape NFT holders will be airdropped a Mining Pass, on us! Thanks for your loyalty. The date for this airdrop is TBD, but it will happen before the game’s release. Thank you in advance for your patience.
While the mining passport system means there is a small initial cost to players, we believe it holds several competitive advantages over competing play to earn products:
- In many battler and card battler games, startup costs to acquire a ‘team’ can quickly reach the hundreds or even thousands of dollars. In MOD, everyone’s start up costs are the same — about $20
- Having an introductory planet that anyone can try removes the initial barrier to entry entirely, allowing anyone with a wallet address to try the game
- By creating an economy full of play-to-earn opportunities, players will be able to recoup the initial passport cost and then continue earning into the future!
With the fee structure of our game outlined, we will be following up with a series of articles that explain the functions of Dalarnian in-game economy in depth. Keep an eye out for the Dalarnian Almanac: Game Economics series, coming soon!
Join our channels: